Saturday, February 20, 2010

Free Life Lesson

I will teach this to my daughter over and over again, possibly every day for the rest of her life:

Don't play with boys.

Boys don't play nice, or fair, or by rules. Boys think that "boy rules" exist and that they get to play by them. From what I can tell "boy rules" mean that being destructive is totally called for in every situation and to win at any cost.
I learned early on not to do the flirty play fighting thing with my husband while we were dating because he played like a boy. The out come was always the same: I got hurt and the game ended. Why? Because boys have to win and there is no consideration to what they are doing, it's just fast action, the quicker the better, possibly even funnier... what could go wrong there?

So tonight we were playing with our 2 year old daughter's play doh set "build a burger" that she got for her birthday. It's a really neat set and we often have to remind ourselves to share with our daughter. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture, but here is one that gives you an idea of what is created...



The only difference is that our burgers had at least two more things stacked in them, so they were a bit taller.

well...

All of a sudden, my husband grabs a play doh tool meant for stamping pictures into the dough...

"And THIS is what we use to SQUISH IT so it fits in our mouth!"

... I think it was mostly in my head, but as he squished his burger together with the press I let out a bit of a "Ahhhhh noooooo!"

"What? This is how boys play" he said chuckling to himself

And as he was saying that, Addie grabbed my burger and squished it. just. like. daddy.

"You RUINED it!"

"Pffft no, he said. It comes apart"

And he tried to peel apart the layers.

"oh." he said.

"uhm yeeeah."

He's banned from making burgers now ;)

1 comment: