Saturday, May 7, 2011

A New Love

Well for now, until it gets too hard. For the first time in my life I sewed something. No really. I used a sewing machine all. by. myself.
My aunt has been encouraging me to just try it and take the plunge. It took quite a few youtube videos and looking at tutorials but I did it. I was going to make a dress our of a man's dress shirt to start like I have seen a friend do... But then I thought it might be better to start even simpler than that. So I found this tutorial for a simple skirt. I thought it would be perfect to start with.
It took me about an hour-ish. That's after learning how to put the bobbin in and thread a sewing machine. See, I'm not kidding when I say I have never sewn before! I have a lot to learn about keeping a seam straight lol, there are a few ugly spots where I had to lift the presser foot to get back on track. I'm sure that's some kinda "no-no", but hey, I'm the rookiest rookie out there. And as I am writing this out I am realizing the reason I had such a hard time hemming the bottom is because I forgot to fold the edge over a second time... oops. Guess I'll remember that next time.
My biggest find was the beautiful eyelet poking out from the bottom. It is a pillowcase I bought for .99 at thrift this morning. Yessssss. Love! Who knows how long this will hold together, I really don't care. I can't believe I made something resembling clothing!
Oh and the sweetest part. After I got Addie to try it on, she ran over to me and gave me a giant smile and huge hug and said "I LIKE it mommy!"






Next up, the shirt dress. I think.

1 comment:

  1. I'm trying to find the time/courage to make some re usable wipes from averys old receiving blankets...now that's basic!

    ReplyDelete