Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Slightly Obsessed

I apologize for my lack of posting lately, you know, for those that check this to cure their boredom. I have been drowning myself in reading sewing tutorials, watching videos on youtube on sewing projects and sewing. I have spent a *cough* fair amount of time perfecting my seam ripping skills and learning lots of valuable lessons. For instance, if you've ever wanted to learn to swear like a trucker, I'd suggest sewing with the cheapest thread you can possibly find. Cheap thread can also help build your skills in threading your machine, and re threading it, then threading it again. It also helps you gain the ability to put a bobbin in and out with your eyes closed from so much practice. Did I mention it can also make you bilingual?
On another note, there are a few spools of thread in my garbage can.
My second project was to make Addie a dress out of a mens dress shirt, Of course by the time I was just about done a friend of mine shared a tutorial she had used that I liked way better. Go figure. Maybe that's the pattern I'll use for Papa's shirt that's on it's way out from Ontario :).
Here are the photos: (and the tutorial)




I meant for the bottom trim to be gathered but didn't have enough fabric/didn't realize how much you needed to make a nice gather... next time I guess.

This is the one I want to make with Papa's shirt now...

I also made myself a dress, but I'll get a photo when I don't look like I've stayed up until 1am to finish it and got up at 6am with a rotten little boy ;)

Here's a peek though hehehe

1 comment:

  1. GREAT JOB!!! I made Celia an Easter dress and also understand about the cheap thread........ I also learned it's best to sew when the kids are not home or napping or sleeping, but yes than I forget what time it is and stay up till all hours in the morning and am a cranky bear in the am:(
    Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete