Friday, August 12, 2011

A Lesson Plan?

In a couple weeks, my hub and I are speaking at teen camp. I am doing the morning sessions. I've been struggling with narrowing my topics, or narrowing them too much. Figuring out some kind of flow for myself, but one that will also complement my hubs messages that follow each evening.
Tonight I was reminded to stop. To pray. To be still. To listen. I have been so caught up in what I think is important; the things I feel the North American Church misses completely. Things like the cost of being a disciple, how much their is required of us to give up, how we should love reading our Bibles... the list could go on.
Tonight I was reading a blog, it's called kisses from katie. It's a blog, written by a young woman about what she is doing in her journey of faith. If you haven't read it, you should ;). I'm not going to go into what it's about, you can read it yourself because I can't do it justice. Anyways I was reading it tonight to get to know her story better because I wanted to share her story in one of my sessions for teen camp. As I got to the end of the July 22 post, I realized my ideas for speaking were just that; my ideas.
I tend to forget? (if that's even the right word) that we live in a brutally hurting world. That these kids that we are speaking to have lots of hurts of their own. They DO need to know the cost of being a disciple for sure, but in a world where parents divorce, siblings die, friends are murdered... on top of all the regular nasty rejection, financial trouble, and abuse... kids need to know how loving God is. They need to know how perfect a Father He is.
I read my kids a story book about Jonah yesterday. Oddly enough the truth at the end of the book was for me. It read:

"'Jonah, Jonah,' said God gently. 'Will you never learn what I am like? My love is great. It is greater than my anger...'"

No comments:

Post a Comment