With no ulterior motives a couple of weeks ago I posted a Nike running commercial on my running partner's facebook wall. She needed some motivation to get out running that day, so I thought I'd be a dork and post it. The first commercial I found with a girl in it was "men vs. women." I guess Nike had a campaign last year...
I thought it was pretty funny too. Aaaaanyways, as we were out for our run that night, my husband watched the commercial. As soon as I got in the door he gave me an odd look.
"What?"
"OH, it's oooonnnnn"
Apparently I struck a nerve and made him think that me running was all about beating his sorry couch potato butt. And not only that, but me and my running partner were ganging up on both him and her husband and laughing our whole run about how fit and motivated we are in comparison to them. Yes, that's EXACTLY what this is all about. We just want to be better than our husbands, prove that we are better athletes, and gloat all. day. long. Yeah, it has nothing to do with losing years of baby weight and feeling like an attractive and fit wife instead of a refuse station for whatever comes out of whichever end of our children.
So, we exchanged some good old smack talk back and forth for the next few days. Part of our smack talking involved more Nike commercials "my better is better than your better." You'd think at least one of us wore Nike shoes... About a week later he got some running shoes and went out for his first run a couple days later. We are both hoping to do a 5k race on May 2. So he marked off 5km down the road and went out. So as he was on his way out I sent him a text mimicking the commercials "My fast makes your fast use the little potty." A little while later I got a text back "My fast does 5k in under 25 minutes."
Well then.
So he got home. I gave him his well deserved silent treatment.
"Are you mad at me?"
"nope."
About an hour later when I had settled down a little I gave a better answer to the same question.
"I'm not mad at you, I'm mad because I have been working my BUTT off for a MONTH and it takes me like an hour on this program to run 5k!"
I knew he would do well. He was a big jock back in the day. But I was hoping it'd be a little more difficult. I mean, I'll be generous and say it's been like 10 years since he has ran... I thought that might have some bearing on him... But then again, he is one of those sick individuals who like to "push" themselves and enjoys pain to accomplish things. I mean, I do too, I just better be holding a baby at the end of it, not a sweaty shirt...
But I'll get back to our conversation... this was his reply...
"Well, I'm a man"
Oh for real, he said that.
I gave him the stink eye.
"Are you sure you want to start this conversation this way?"
backpedalbackpedalbackpedal something about muscle memory yadda yadda.
Anyways, he did feel very bad because I felt like a big fat loser who hopefully will finish 5k before the 10k-ers cross... But honestly, I am happy for him. It takes me a bit to warm up to that feeling after he gets home from a run, but I really am. So he is going to try killing me on Sunday, he is going to go for a run with me and try to push me to see how much of 5km I can run and ditch the interval program for one day, just to see where I am at. Also so I don't try anything stupid on race day. So on Sunday I will either be sending my husband to sleep on the couch, or happy that I am more fit that I thought. I'm not putting much money on the latter....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
totally sounds like something kelvin and i would argue about!!! one day after having an asthma attack at the end of my run, i finally limped in the door: "i'm having an asthma attack!!!" "oh really?" says kelvin, uninterested while he plays wii... "yes! can you get me some water?!" "uh yea... just a sec"...
ReplyDeletehusbands are clueless the work we do to look good!!!
and it does suck, because i'm sure kelvin could out run me, and he hasn't been training. where is your 5 km? i was training for one before i got knocked up... i haven't been for a run for a while... my doctor said today though that i could still go... so might go this evening after kelvin gets home! :)
It's here in Kamloops, "Boogie the Bridge"
ReplyDeleteYou're gonna kick his ass on Sunday Chrystal!
ReplyDelete(at least he better let you if he knows what's good for him! ;P)
Don't you remember? Boys are mean and don't play fair. Let him gloat, he has to feel good about something. After all, YOU delivered the babies. Enough said.
You go Girl!