Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Audrey's Quilt

For the last 2 months I have been learning to make a quilt. Through much trial and error, a *cough* few tears, and a lot of help it is ready for the finishing touches.

This idea for the quilt came about after Great Grandma Duff was admiring my mother in law's necklace. My sister in law and I had ordered a necklace with our children's names stamped into a pendant with their birthstones. Kind of a "Grandmother necklace." Grandma Duff joked that a necklace wouldn't be able to hold all of her children, and grandchildren, and great grandchildren. Truth be told I looked and looked for one. But there was none to be found for that many descendants. And all they offered was a chain of birthstones, which, to me, was a little impersonal.
So I thought... and eventually came up with the idea of "The Quilt." Now here is where I should mention that only 9 months ago (about 6 months ago then) I learned how to use a sewing machine. And I mean I was really green. Like, had no idea how to even put the thread through properly or how to put the bobbin in. I knew you had to push the pedal, but I even put that backwards.
The idea was that my mother in law, who lives in Ontario with most of the family would get some flannel, cut it up, and get as many handprints on the quilt as possible. Then we would get as many of the family members to do the same and have them all mailed to me. I would purchase the fabric for the top, then magically make a quilt!
A couple weeks into making this a plan, we found out we were moving. that lost me about 2 months of sewing time. yikes.
Once we were finally settled in our new place, I pulled everything out to get to work. Now what fun would a project be if everything went right? We had decided on 12 in ch squares. When we laid out the pretty top fabric, it was one inch shy of making that happen. So after standing and staring at my hub with my mouth open and my hand on my forehead, we decided to change it up and make all the squares 11 inches. So to all my dear relatives who have lost part of their hand or name: it was not deliberate! Things just didn't work out. So the quilt is a little skinnier than I intended; still 'queen size,' but not to my plan.
This is where I should also say that there is no way this would have happened without my amazing husband. Apart from the squares my mother in law cut, he pretty much cut every piece of fabric on this quilt. At least 100 squares. On top of all the counseling when things didn't go as planned.
So the next step was sewing one of the 72 sandwiches together. A handprint fabric square, batting, and a pretty square. Well let me tell you, apparently there are a few tension adjustments on a sewing machine. Who knew? My lack of knowledge/experience resulted in one or two temper tantrums that "this was such a dumb idea!" because the fabric kept puckering and I had no idea why. After a few messages to ladies that sew, and a massive amount of time on google I finally learned about presser foot pressure. lifesaver.
From there on out, it went alright. I think. As far as I remember. I haven't spent much time out of my sewing room so I can't be sure. But it is finally done! Well, almost... I need to write a little something on it yet and package it up. A couple Bible verses on the quilt and a letter to Audrey.
The jist of my letter will be something like this:

"If I have learned anything from being a part of this family, it is how much they love and adore you. They way stories are told and the regard in which you are held, tell over and over again what an amazing woman you are to each person.
Now, if there is anything I have learned in life, it is that we rarely take time to tell or show the people we love how much they truly mean to us. So this quilt is a small token of the legacy of love and faith you have written on all of our hearts."


She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come.
She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
“Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all.”
Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
Honor her for all that her hands have done,
and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.

Proverbs 31:25, 28-31

Now I just need to get that done and sent off for Christmas!











Shhhh it's a surprise! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment